Friday, March 30, 2012

Square in a Square

Square in a Square
12" x 12"

This is my little donation quilt for SAQA.  Still deciding if I want to go around the edge a few more times with floss.  It is another in a series of small art quilts made from my batiks.  In this one I also dyed the batting.  It shows through the circles in the center and around the edges of the blocks.  I love the color and the texture!  The 100% cotton batting really dyes bright!  Such fun!  One thing that I really liked about working on this small piece (aside from the relatively quick completion!), was that the dyed batting was so easy to stitch through, soft as butter!


In selecting a name for this little quilt, it references a traditional pattern, called square in a square, but that pattern has each successive layer of a square turned on point (a 45 degree angle).  I made one of these during my early quilt making days for my son.  I need to get a photo of it before it is completely worn out!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

love this one

Claire Jain said...

So pretty! The colors are spectacular and I love the floss details.

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Thank you for making this beautiful quilt. I love it!

Kathy York said...

Thanks Leslie! You are so nice!