Monday, December 28, 2015

Pink and Orange

Pink and Orange
size....Biggish

More circles!  Yay!! This is one of my stashbuster projects...the one in which I learn to piece circles in the form of the block known as Drunkard's Path.  I pieced many, many circles for this quilt.  And about half way through I learned how to do it without cursing so much! Ha!
On the left I have 8" pink circles on solid orange backgrounds.  On the right, I have 6" orange circles on solid pink backgrounds.  I thought the two sides would look significantly different because of the colors.  What I learned, which is especially true for this color palette, is that that the value of the color was more significant.  The placements of lights and darks (whether orange or pink) is what adds movement to the design.  And for me, the size of the circles also plays a less dominant role than I thought it would.  I like it though.  It is cheerful and fun.
And, then I decided to try some really big circles, for the back!  And, because the front is practically blinding, in your face, a LOT of color, I opted for a quieter design on the back.  Then if I got tired of color, I could go for a more relaxed feeling.  I pieced these giant (maybe 30" across?) circles from some neutral fabrics in my stash.  I also won a $50 gift certificate to the Cloth Pocket from a little block contest at our Austin Modern Quilt Guild meeting with my good friend, Sherri McCauley.  I spent that pretty quickly and added to my collection of neutrals.  These came in handy for the back too!

I have already started quilting this one, but I'm not quite finished yet.  And I don't have pictures of the quilting.  I will eventually get it finished and share it with you.

Last note for today, this project has led to several others already!  With the image of a big circle in my head, I started working on One Earth (and here). And, after a trip to the Houston Quilt Market I got a commission quilt for a fabric company (which you may have already seen on Instagram or Facebook), but I will blog about it next week!

No comments: